Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wall Climbing Trip

On the 8th of October, the Wall Climbing group with guidance from Mr. Lockwood, Mr. Simms and Mr. Smith, went to Thulhiriya where we had opportunity to do real rock climbing, b-laying, ab sailing and climbing up the giant ladder. I have already done that before, on the IB trip which was on the same place, but still it was a good experience because now I had more practice before the trip on the Wall in the gym.
We started off at 7 A.M. from OSC, and from the beginning we could see that the weather is going to be a problem, it looked like every second it was about to rain. And it eventually did. We spent around 2 hours on the way to there, and as soon as we arrived, we had a short snack and we were ready to go. First we did the rock climbing and it was really challenging because it was raining and the rocks were really wet and slippery. I was b-laying first, which was little challenging for the arm muscles, but apart from that it wasn't hard. Then the time came when I was supposed to climb up the rock and I think I did good. I got to the point which we considered to be the top, because the rain didn't allow us to go further up.
After that we went ab sailing, and I was little scared at the beginning, but I did good but I got out of it with bruised fingers from the rope. And finally I climbed up to the top of the Giant Ladder with another student, and it was challenging because as we went further up the difference between the steps got longer and longer.
It was a good experience because I developed my skills and tested my strength. Also, I worked collaboratively with other people, like in b-laying and the climbing on the giant ladder which took place in pairs. The activity was a good one, and it had a big role in my action part of CAS. This trip, and the whole Wall Climbing course made me think about continuing to do this sport, as I will be looking forward to doing it next year too.
 Me on the Giant ladder
Me b-laying
Pictures taken by Mr. Lockwood, October 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment